Thursday, February 5, 2015

H-Town - Black Girl Power!

A part of me is wondering if Hollywood just doesn’t notice what’s happening out there in T.V. Land.  And then another part of me can’t help but to wonder if maybe they do, and they’re doing it on purpose.

It’s raining black women all over television!  Do we mention this?  Or should we just keep our mouths shut and hope that the powers that be in tinsel town keep moving ahead, business as usual, and continue showing this powerful new presence on our televisions? 





Shonda Rhimes’ name has become synonymous with the words “Mega” and “Hit” on television.  From Gray’s Anatomy, which has been on for freaking ever, to the explosive Scandal, and now that crazy, over the top, demented but fascinating How to Get Away with Murder, she’s got the Midas touch in Hollywood and shows no signs of stopping soon.  


And somewhere in the midst of all of that, H-town snuck in a few more precious gems, like Sleepy Hollow featuring a cute-as-a-button, but fierce Nicole Beharie in the role of Abbie Mills, fighting the supernatural along side that hunky Tom Mison’s Ichabod Crane character.  Remember her from the Lifetime movie, Sins of the Mother (based on the bestselling novel Orange, Mint & Honey by my good friend Carleen Brice?).  

One of my favorite new characters though, is surprising, even to me, and Jada Pinkett-Smith plays   If you haven’t had the pleasure of watching Jada in action as Fish, let me just say that she takes the words “bad” and “ass” to a whole new level, and since I’ve got a soft spot in me for bad guys (or in this case…girls), I find Fish Mooney hella-inspirational.
that character to the hilt—Fish Mooney on Gotham.




And finally (or maybe not) we have Taraji P. Henson, starring as the very formidable and determined, Cookie in the Lee Daniel’s new series, Empire.  I mean…  What?  This woman gets out of prison and comes back with a vengeance to take back what belongs to her, and I for one, couldn’t be happier. 


So, in a nutshell, we have a super-heavy-weight-lawyer running her own Washington, D.C. crisis firm, having all kinds of romantic trysts and affairs, and this season, is faced with her own crisis of saving her own life from some lunatic; that’s the first thing.


Next, we have the classically beautiful and dynamic Viola Davis, showing up as one of the scariest defense attorneys to ever exist, all wrapped up in the delicious messiness of her own life, while manipulating every one else’s and doing it quite well, I might add. 



We’ve got a ghost hunter in Nicole, a gangster in Jada, and a ex-felon, music mogul in Taraji!


Excuse me while I go and turn another flip.

3 comments:

  1. Great post, J.D. Good progress in the media. More please...of all minority women, too, if I dare suggest. Oops, guess I just did.

    ReplyDelete

Why Dragons? Why Now?

Eshe is the first to awaken in my new series, “The Fire Breathing Series”.   Black dragon. Black woman. So, yeah. I thought it...